Monday, October 24, 2011

My Visit to the World Trade Center Memorial Site NYC

So, as some of you may know, I live just about 15 minutes outside of NYC.  Although the tragic events that happened on September 11, 2001 did not affect me directly, they did affect the hope of the wonderful country that I live in, and because of that I guess you could say I WAS directly impacted.  I remember that day like it was yesterday, as I sat in my first class of the day as a freshman in high school which was then English.  We got released by 11am that day because parents were coming to the school frantic and disoriented about what had just happened.  I remember being thankful that I didn't know anyone that was close to me that worked in NYC, but seeing that some of my very dear friends couldn't say the same, my heart hurt with them.  As the months and years passed, I saw flags everywhere, as a matter of fact the #1 flag store in my neighborhood was sold out of EVERY American flag in just hours! That said a lot, that said that we were all coming together as ONE nation and standing TALL--that our pride had indeed NOT been tarnished and for that I am one proud American girl.

10 years later, what was once the most chaotic and debris filled section of all of NYC is now the home of a beautiful memorial.  A place where those innocent lives that we lost from our American Family, can be honored and visited to remember.  I had not had any intention of ever visiting "Ground Zero" in the previous years because I knew what it would entail and I was not quite sure I was ready to "remember" all that had happened.  However, now that something so monumental and beautiful has been resurrected, I am sure that now, was just the perfect time to go.  As the rebuilding continues of the new towers, seeing the progress that each building has made brings a smile to my face, after all we are progressing as opposed to regressing, and that is always something wonderful.

I was lucky enough to be invited on the First Responders day by a fellow First Responder himself.  I made this journey with my boyfriend and his family, and it was for sure one that I will never forget.  I highly recommend visiting if you are ever in the area, it is something that every American (and those who aren't as well) should do even just once.  Below are some pictures of my adventure:




We are making progress! That is only HALF way done! What a beauty :)

My boyfriend's sister pointed out the rainbow that had formed just as we were about to leave. Do you see it in the corner, it gave me happy peaceful chills. That must be what happens when there is so much love in one place <3

This tree is the ONLY tree that survived the tragedy.  You can see that one half of the tree was seared and disturbed, where as the other half managed to rebuild beautifully--definitely amazing!

The Fire House only a block or so from the WTC. I was told these  were the first ones on the site and were all killed :( What a beautiful bronze piece of art.


Proud to be standing there after all these years. God Bless America <3

1 comment:

  1. Great post! I live about 20 min. from NYC. I haven't visited the site yet, but plan to do so to pay my respects.

    ReplyDelete